Friday, August 29, 2014

Summer Isn't Over Yet.




Happy times at the pool.  "Throw me again, Daddy!"  This kid is a little fish.  Already swimming and growing up so fast. 

So... Surprise!  I actually finished a refashion, and here I am posting again this month.  Remember this dress? 


It's been hot and humid here - uncomfortable for Hawaii.  I've been wearing the most airy clothes I can find, and this refashion came at just the right time.  I started with this dress. 




This Tori Richard dress came to me through a consignment shop.  I found it on the rack with the tags on, and couldn't believe that it was only $20 (retailing for $125).  Then I tried it on and realized why it was such a deal.  There were holes on the bottom half.  When I showed the owner, she insisted on giving it to me for free.

I tried to wear it as is, but it wasn't so comfortable and a little loose in the bust. It was a prime candidate for a 60's style summer dress.


I used my 60's dress as a pattern and cut a V and armholes in the bottom section of the Tori Richard.


I then used the top part of the 60's dress to draw a pattern for the neckline and sleeves.


There wasn't enough fabric for two layers, so I used one of my husband's old shirts for the neckline and sleeve lining.  Can you believe he was going to throw it away?



I made the back pattern section a bit longer than the front so that the shoulders would hang nicely. 


I used what was left of the top to make the outer layer of the neckline and sleeves. 



Ugh!  Sometimes I don't think things through very well.  I cut two of the same piece.  I ended up having to sew scraps together so that I could cut another piece. 


Good thing it's a busy pattern. 


I added interfacing to the outer layer. 


In the next sections, you'll see that I stitched the lining to the outer layer.



I ironed them down. 


I then stitched the front and back together. 



And flipped them inside out.  


I sewed the front and back together at an angle. 


And sewed it to the dress. 


I added bias tape around the armholes and patched the holes.  Once I figured out the pattern, this dress was super easy to make.  I love it!!!



So much more practical. Oh!  And I got the DKNY slippers at a garage sale for $3.  Score!





May your remaining summer days be blessed.





























Friday, August 22, 2014

60's Style at Hawaii's Biggest Little Air Show








I picked up this vintage Hawaii-made dress a while back at Salvation Army for about $10.  I know... I splurged!  I really loved the pattern and print, and over the years it's been my go-to dress on hot summer days.  


In fact, it turned out to be a superb choice for a day out at Hawaii's Biggest Little Air Show.  The family had a wonderful day  at Ford Island watching the most amazing miniature planes zoom through the sky.  It was a little boy's dream.  Hanger 79 was open to the public, and the kids (and adults) got to sit in the old war planes. 

I have to say - it was pretty cool.  However it was a rather warm day, and I found myself thinking, "I wish I had a few more of these comfy, lightweight dresses."  And then it dawned on me!  I could make my own pattern and refashion one of my old dresses!  A Pacific print Tori Richard maxi dress immediately came to mind.

Therefore, I'm onto another refashion.  So far, I have a pattern sort of cut out, and after I work through a few more bumps, I should have it ready to post soon.  Be on the look out!

Now for something else.  As you've noticed, I've been a little MIA - again.  My absence is nothing new.  If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not the best at balancing work, family and hobby.  School has started, and I'm in a new position as curriculum coordinator for my school.

I absolutely love my new job.  I am learning that I have a strong passion for helping teachers.  It's quite the learning curve, but I am definitely up for the challenge.  With this said, I'm wondering when I'll have time to keep up with my sewing and blog.

As much as I am passionate about helping teachers, I'm passionate about refashioning.  It's a part of me that I can't let go.  I am planning to post at least once a month and hopefully more.  For the time being, this is all I can offer.  I really hope that you'll continue to follow me.  I really love all of your feedback and stories. 


  

Friday, July 25, 2014

Stylish in Seattle








Summer bliss...  Seattle has turned out to be the perfect vacation destination for our family. Cool weather, beautiful scenery and amazing food and drinks. We are saciated. 

Luckily, I brought along a recent refashion for a night out. 

Here's how this wild top began it's life. 


Unfortunately, my photographer was out if town when I began this refashion, and I had to snap a photo of it hanging up. 

I found the significantly oversized top at Holy Nativity Thrift Store for $2. I loved the feel of the thick slinky fabric, but I wasn't wild about the print. (Ha!  Get it?)  Anyway...  

I decided to give it a try. 


I began by taking it apart. 


Next, I trimmed the sides and armholes. 


And cut it across the middle. 


I then trimmed up the sleeves and cut them off about 3/4 of the way down. 


The original shirt front became the back, and the original back became the front. 

The new neckline was a little large, so I put in a few pleats. 


This summer I learned to use my serger (which I love), so I serged down the back and around the top of the bottom half. 



I also went around the top half. 



Next, I sewed the top and bottom half together. 

 

For the sleeves, I serged around the edges and...


Hemmed them up about an inch. I don't have a photo, but I added elastic. 


Next, I added elastic around the middle. 



Voila!


Now this wild print is super stylish. 



Before/ After. 


A big thank you goes to my sweet sis-in-law who snapped the photos.